Areas of practice: Real Estate & Construction, Banking & Finance, Corporate & Commercial Law, Insolvency & Bankruptcy, Insurance
Phone: +40 21 202 59 06
Fax: +40 21 223 04 95
Address: 43 Aviatorilor Boulevard, 1st District, Code 011853, Bucharest, Romania
Ms Mona Muşat has a diverse legal background in corporate finance and commercial property practice, acting primarily for top domestic and foreign companies, including founders, developers, financiers and contractors, in relation to matters ranging from the acquisition and sale of real estate to corporate and private leases, complex development projects and implementation of large retail activities. She specialises in the real estate & construction sectors, with an emphasis on private equity and finance matters.
Mona has gained an extensive expertise in Banking & Finance, being well known for her ability to design and implement effective legal solutions related to project structuring, financing, development and projects operation. She acted in a significant number of cross-border financing transactions for the most prominent financial institutions and companies, with particular focus on key industries such as real estate, energy, constructions, infrastructure, transport and pharma.
Her practice also consists of providing legal assistance to major corporate clients on Mergers & Acquisitions, including disposals and acquisitions of assets, takeovers, joint ventures, equity financings, etc., as well as on general corporate & commercial legal challenges.
Career & Qualifications
- Law degree, University of Bucharest (1999)
- Experience within Muşat & Asociaţii: 20 years
- Partner, Musat & Asociatii: 2018 to date
- Co-Managing Partner, Muşat & Asociaţii: 2009 – 2017
- Partner, Muşat & Asociaţii: 2003-2008
- Senior Associate, Muşat & Asociaţii: 1999-2003
- English and Romanian
Mona’s relevant recent experience includes advising/representing:
- A leading international player in the building materials industry, with operations in 34 countries worldwide, in relation to its acquisition of a leading local construction company, part of a global deal with a total value of EUR 6,5 bn.
- A leading commercial banking institution based in Korea in connection with various legal issues pertaining to financing five photovoltaic projects located in three different regions of Romania.
- The largest Romanian bank in connection with multimillion financing for the development of two large photovoltaic parks in Romania.
- One of the most important European financial institution in connection with the USD 200,000,000 financing granted to the Romanian subsidiaries of the largest oil and gas producer in South Eastern Europe, secured by various guarantees and collaterals granted by the company and two of its Romanian subsidiaries.
- One of the world’s leading financial service providers regarding the implementation of a reverse factoring mechanism on the Romanian market.
- The consortium of banks formed of two leading Italian banking institutions in connection with securing the banks’ receivables resulting from multimillion financing granted by the banks for purchasing the shares of a local player in the energy industry.
- A leading international multinational financial services corporation in the launch of the International Corporate Currency products (“ICC”) on the Romanian market.
- A leading Spanish real estate developer in connection with a wide range of legal matters arising from taking over the management of three retail centres developed by one of the main investors on the Romanian market.
- A major player in the Swiss financial industry in connection with credit facilities (and related security package) in excess of USD 100,000,000 granted to a major player in the oil trading industry.
- A leading international financial and investment group in connection with the increase of a multimillion facility granted to the local subsidiary of a Czech real estate developer for the construction of a large office building project in Romania.
- A leading global health care company with respect to restructuring the group’s business worldwide (including Romania), namely the separation and transfer to a US pharmaceuticals company of the Established Products Division business.
- A Spanish based Europe’s leasing savings bank in relation to various multimillion real estate acquisitions and development project financings in Romania totalling over EUR 200,000,000.
- A leading Spanish real estate developer in connection with various land acquisitions and developing residential compounds with a project investment value in excess of EUR 300,000,000.
- The Real Estate division of a global financial institution of Dutch origin in relation to various real estate residential and mixed–use schemes developments in Romania in excess of EUR 250,000,000.
- An investment European Fund in relation to an EUR 225,000,000 term loan facility made available by a holding company comprising real estate financing banks for refinancing of the acquisition of the industrial real estate portfolio of the fund owned in Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Romania.
- A worldwide leading construction group active in infrastructure for transport, urban development and recreational sectors, with regard to the renegotiation and restructuring of three construction agreements concluded with The National Highway and Road Company, totalling over EUR 235,000,000.
- A leading real estate investment company with regard to the development of the largest shopping center in Bucharest City, with a value in excess of EUR 500,000,000, including the PPP concluded with the Municipality of Bucharest.
- A leading Finnish forest management group with respect to various acquisitions of forest lands of more than 11,000 ha in various locations in Romania, with a total amount in excess of EUR 40,000,000.
- One of the leading listed property companies in Europe with regard to the refinancing of two real estate projects in excess of EUR 44,000,000 granted by a leading European banking institution.
- One of the most active investment funds in Romania in connection with the development of a large office project in Bucharest.
- The Romanian branch of the international express and mail delivery service company in relation to various corporate/commercial matters including extending its logistics and operation business in Romania.
- A leading Spanish construction company with respect to the development of major infrastructure projects in Cluj, Turnu Măgurele and Tulcea, with a total value of EUR 30,000,000.
- One of the most important European financial institutions in connection with the EUR 232,000,000 loan granted to the Municipality of Bucharest for the purposes of infrastructure rehabilitation and urban development.
- One of the most important European financial institutions in connection with structuring and negotiating a multimillion EUR project finance scheme granted to the Municipality of Oradea for the purposes of public transportation development.
- A major real estate company affiliated to a leading financial institution in connection with the development of a large office project in Bucharest. The project includes a headquarter and seven skyscrapers, the total value of the investment being in excess of EUR 100,000,000.
- A major real estate developer in Central & Eastern Europe in relation to the factual background, the legal issues and related legal remedies concerning the ownership dispute over certain real estate projects, entered into with a local business partner, with a total value in excess of EUR 100,000,000.
- A leading Austrian listed property company and one of the leading real estate investors in Romania in connection with a project consisting in developing a large office and residential project worthing in excess of EUR 130,000,000.
- The real estate division of a leading player in the global insurance and financial products market in connection with the EUR 33,000,000 acquisition of a Business Center.
- The European leader in global banking and financial services in respect to various financing and related collateralization operations for supporting the business development of major oil trading companies amounting to more than USD 220,000,000.
- The Belgian subsidiary of an international banking company with regards to the creation of a security package and correspondent financing of major oil trading companies with a total amount exceeding USD 90,000,000.
- A Switzerland-based multinational financial corporation in connection with the security package meant to secure the credit facilities granted to a major player in the oil trading industry, amounting to more than USD 25,000,000.
- The public water operator for the county of Dâmbovița in connection with the tendering procedure, services and concession contracts concerning the management, supervision and construction works regarding the rehabilitation and the extension of the local water supply systems and infrastructure, with a total value of EUR 120,000,000.
- A UK real–estate investment fund in connection with the acquisition of the largest shopping center in Iasi City, for a total transaction value of EUR 34,500,000, as well as in relation to a EUR 40,000,000 syndicated term loan facility made available by two international financial institutions for the development of a retail & commercial park within Vitandis Shopping Centre Bucharest.
- A joint venture between two real estate investment companies in relation to the development of Hermes Business Park Timișoara and Hercules Business Park Chiajna.
- One of the major investors in the Romanian retail market, holding an impressive portfolio of retail parks and shopping centers in the main secondary cities, in relation to various property management issues with tenants, general contractors and landlords of various retail and commercial mixed use scheme projects developed on the local market.
- A leading Greek bank in acquiring the office building Amco Business Center.
- A major local real estate developer in relation to restructuring of the lease agreements concluded for two of the most important shopping centers in Bucharest.
- One of the most active investment funds in Romania in relation to its real estate projects portfolio in Romania.
- One of the largest global real estate investors on various legal matters relating to its real estate projects portfolio in Romania.
- Bucharest and Romanian Bar Associations (Admitted 1999)
- National Insolvency Practitioners Association (Admitted 2006)
- Eminent practitioner – Real estate (Chambers Europe, 2015)
- Leading individual – Banking, Finance and Capital Markets (Legal 500, 2015)
- Leading lawyer – Banking & Capital Markets, Project Finance ( IFLR 1000, 2013)
- Highly recommended – Real Estate (Chambers Europe, 2014)
- Mona Mușat is a “very talented adviser“, with experience of advising top domestic and foreign companies on real estate transactions, projects and leases, alongside her duties as managing partner. Source: Chambers Europe, 2015
- Mona Muşat is “the go-to lawyer” for banking and finance advice. Source: Legal 500, 2015
- Practice head Mona Muşat is “a real estate expert” and “a fast-thinking lawyer”. Source: Legal 500, 2014
- “The project finance team she leads is among the two standout teams I’ve had the pleasure of working within the last year.” Source: IFLR 1000, 2013
- “Mona Muşat managed expectations well and explained the intricacies of Romanian legal practice to non-practitioners effectively.” Source: IFLR 1000, 2013
- “Department head Mona Muşat impresses clients with her openness and straightforward approach.” Source: Chambers Europe, 2013
- Mona Muşat is “a very reliable and result-oriented professional”. Source: Legal 500, 2013
- This “excellent” team’s key banking and finance partner is Mona Muşat, who is “a very good negotiator with a real talent for structuring financing transaction”. Source: Legal 500, 2013
- Mona Muşat is “dedicated” and has “an excellent reputation in the Romanian real estate market”. Source: Legal 500, EMEA 2012
- Mona Muşat is “a dedicated, business-savvy and goal-oriented lawyer”. Source: Chambers Global, 2012
- Mona Muşat is practice head “and a natural leader”. Source: Legal 500, EMEA 2011
- She is described by one source as “one of the most efficient lawyers I have ever met, with in–depth experience in real estate.” Source: Chambers Europe, 2011
- Mona Muşat “adds a great deal of value to our business”, according to one client. Source: Legal 500, EMEA 2010
- Mona Muşat […] is described by one client as“someone I call whenever I need to source something quickly. I get a prompt and professional response every time”. Source: IFLR – 2010
- “Great performer”. Source: Legal 500, EMEA 2009
- “Mona Muşat heads the Real Estate practice and is well known for her high–quality advice, availability and“excellent communications skills.” Source: Chambers Europe, 2009
- “The coming into force of the New Civil Procedure Code” (Romania Chapter, IFLR 1000, 2014)
- “The banking and finance sector under new Romanian Civil Code” (Romania Chapter, IFLR 1000, 2013)
- “Chapter 12 – Romania” (International Project Finance and PPP’s, a Legal Guide to Key Growth Markets, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2013)
- “Country Overview Romania” (Chambers Global, 2012)
- “Questions & Answers, Romania Chapter” (PLC – Which Lawyer? Cross-border Corporate Real Estate Handbook:, 2011/2012)
- “Romania Legislation Guide: Restitution, investments and construction in Romania” (IFLR 1000, 2011)
- International Joint Ventures Chapter on Romania (Juris Publishing 2012)
- International Project Finance and PPPs. A legal guide to key growth markets (Kluwer Law International 2011)