Practice Areas: Criminal Law/ White-Collar Crime, Dispute Resolution, Corporate & Commercial Law, Insolvency & Bankruptcy
Phone: +40-21 202 59 12
Fax: +40 21 223 04 95
Address: 43 Aviatorilor Boulevard, 1st District, Code 011853, Bucharest, Romania
Liviu Togan specializes in Criminal Law, Corporate & Commercial Law, Dispute Resolution, having a practical professional experience of almost 20 years. Liviu represented various companies and individuals (especially businessmen and public figures) before criminal investigation authorities and Romanian courts at all levels, within complex legal proceedings relating to corruption offences, tax evasion, money laundering, creation of organized crime groups, as well as abuse of office, deceit etc.
His expertise also includes performance of compliance corporate audits, by assisting various clients with the identification and remedy of criminal risks that can affect the economic activity of corporations, as well as a wide experience in Mergers and Acquisitions and Energy sectors. Liviu also assists and represents clients in disputes relating to administrative and tax law, corporate law and in insolvency proceedings.
- Post-graduate specialization in Companies Law and Business Law, Bucharest University of Law
- Law Degree Dimitrie Cantemir University (1999)
- Legal Experience: 19 years
- Experience within Muşat & Asociaţii: 4 years
- Partner, Musat & Asociatii: January 2017 – to date
- Managing Associate, Musat & Asociatii: 2015 – 2017
- Partner, Mircea Andrei & Associates: 2009-2015
- Managing Associate, Mircea Andrei & Associates Law Firm: 2003 – 2009
- Associate, Mircea Andrei & Associates Law Firm: 2000-2003
- English and Romanian
A selection of Liviu’s relevant recent mandates includes advising/representing:
- A leading Italian energy company, legal assistance and representation in front of the criminal investigation authorities;
- A major US-based pharmaceuticaly company, legal assistance for compliance corporate audit performed in connection with the local reseller;
- An affiliate of a Swiss global healthcare company in various pharmaceutical litigations dealing with claims worth over EUR 100,000,000.
- The Romanian division of a leading German retailer regarding the investigation of alleged criminal offenses committed in connection with the issuance of land titles.
- A major Austrian insurance company, legal assistance and representation in front of the criminal investigation authorities;
- Various high officials and politicians in connection with various criminal files, in front of the National Anticorruption Directorate (DNA) and other criminal investigation authorities, as well as in front of the Criminal Courts of law, such as:
- A former Minister of the Romanian Government in relation to charges of abuse of power involving his official activity;
- A former Minister of the Romanian Government in relation to charges of using his influence as a Vice President of a leading political party;
- A former Secretary of State regarding corruption accusations;
- A former President of the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority in relation to charges of buying influence;
- A former Senator of the Romanian Parliament regarding judicial proceedings for crimes of corruption (traffic of influence).
- A former Government Counsellor in a high profile corruption investigation and trial regarding important amounts of money used for elections financing, involving former State ministers, senators, other officials and business people.
- A leading real estate entrepreneur, investigated and tried in one of the most complex real estate corruption cases lately, with an estimated prejudice of over EUR 300,000,000 involving Romanian senators, State and local officials, business men and other persons, accused of organizing a complex network of influence peddling in order to illegally obtain financial benefits from the restitution of a large forest plot.
- A Romanian business man in a case involving the creation of an organized criminal group of some 30 private persons and high-ranked public officials in order to perpetrate economic crimes relating to producing and selling oil products, the claimed prejudice exceeding EUR 50,000,000.
- The General Manager of a national chain of drugstores in a criminal investigation for possible embezzlement of public funding and subsidies for medicines, as well as forgery of documents, resulting in a prejudice of over EUR 4,000,000.
- A leading entrepreneur, investigated and tried (together with local officials) in a case of fraud against the State, forgery of documents and provocation of abuse of power, in order to obtain a forest plot, worth approximately EUR 10,000,000 (as part of a fortune estimated to over EUR 1 billion).
- A large member of local commercial companies in relation to various complex litigations in front of various courts of all levels including the High Court of Justice
- Romanian Bar Association (Admitted 1999)