Areas of practice: Dispute resolution and Arbitration, European Union Law, Civil law, Commercial law, Energy and Natural resources, Infrastructure, Environmental law
Phone: +40 21 202 59 00
Fax: +40 21 223 04 95
Address: 43 Aviatorilor Boulevard, 1st District, Code 011853, Bucharest, Romania
Iuliana focuses her practice on domestic and international arbitration, public and private international law, public procurement, energy and natural resources, as well as infrastructure.
Iuliana acted as counsel in multiple commercial arbitration disputes administered under the auspices of major arbitral institutions (ICC, VIAC, SCC), across a wide range of sectors, such as privatization, construction and infrastructure, energy or international commerce, as well as in complex cases involving applications for provisional measures, annulment of Arbitral Awards or recognition and enforcement proceedings.
In addition, Iuliana assisted and represented numerous clients in front of the domestic courts of law in relation to complex litigations arising out of major infrastructure projects. As well, Iuliana assists clients in high-stake proceedings before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Iuliana has been short listed on the panel of arbitrators of the Bucharest Court of Arbitration and acts as arbitrator.
- Master in „South East European Law and European Integration” LL.M. Karl-Franzens University, Graz, Austria (2017)
- Bachelor’s degree (equivalent) Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest, Bucharest (2007)
- Experience within Muşat & Asociaţii: 10 years
- Partner, Muşat & Asociaţii: 2022 – present
- Managing Associate, Muşat & Asociaţii 2017 – 2021
- Senior Associate, Muşat & Asociaţii 2012 – 2016
- Associate, Muşat & Asociaţii 2011-2012
- English, French, German, Spanish and Romanian
A selection of Iuliana’s notable mandates includes:
- Representing a major European energy group, in three high-stakes complex ICC international arbitrations (seat of arbitration: Paris), with total claims in excess of USD 1,700,000,000;
- Representing an important local construction and engineering company in a high-stake preliminary ruling procedure in front of the Court of Justice of the European Union regarding the interpretation of article 57 (4) letter g) of the Directive 2014/24/EU on public procurement and repealing Directive 2004/18/EC. The preliminary ruling arose in connection with the interpretation of “significant or persistent deficiencies”, as grounds for exclusion;
- Representing a highly reputed developer of technology of transmission and distribution systems, in a complex cross border matter involving the recognition and enforcement proceedings of two arbitration awards (seat of arbitration Milan) with an amount in dispute in excess of EUR 35,000,000;
- Representing a major Romanian energy producer in a complex arbitration under the rules of the Court of International Commercial Arbitration attached to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania deriving from a contract regarding the rehabilitation of a major hydropower plant, entailing multiple high-stake claims and counterclaims with an amount in dispute in excess of EUR 25,000,000;
- Representing a major Romanian energy supply and trading company, in three complex international arbitrations before the German Arbitration Institute (seat of arbitration: Paris, Bonn) and the Court of International Commercial Arbitration attached to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania (seat of arbitration Bucharest) deriving from EFET international agreements for the sale of electricity and involving multiple claims, with an amount in dispute in excess of EUR 8,000,000;
- Successfully representing a major global construction company, in multiple arbitration proceedings having a high degree of complexity (the seats of arbitration being Geneva and Bucharest), arising out of international construction contracts (infrastructure projects) where the aggregate value in dispute is in excess of USD 110,000,000;
- Successfully advising and representing a subsidiary of a major international real estate group, in connection with an ICC international arbitration regarding various claims arising in connection with a large development project, with an amount in dispute in excess of EUR 60,000,000;
- Successfully advising and representing a renowned Italian company in the construction field and management of environmental and industrial engineering works, in a complex ICC international arbitration arising out of the termination of a FIDIC contract;
- Advising and representing the National Railways Company (Romania) in connection with a multimillion Euro ICC arbitration regarding various claims arising from the construction agreement pertaining to a railway station;
- Advising and representing the National Railways Company (Romania) in connection with a complex ICC arbitration arising out of a major railway infrastructure project with claims in excess of EUR 12,000,000;
- Assisting a major Spanish construction company in several litigations in the field of public procurement, as well as in relation to national disputes regarding public procurement agreements for the execution of works and services of public interest, with claims in excess of EUR 90,000,000;
- Assisting the Romanian subsidiary of a major global Engineering Design company in connection with an arbitration before the Court of International Commercial Arbitration attached to the Romanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry involving claims in excess of EUR 2,000,000 deriving from a Joint Venture agreement;
- Assisting and representing the Romanian subsidiary of a major global Engineering Design company in front of the Romanian courts of law in multiple complex multimillion euro disputes arising out of a consultancy agreement for the design and supervision of rehabilitation works in connection with an infrastructure project of national interest;
- Representing an important local construction and engineering company in a complex arbitration in front of the Court of International Commercial Arbitration attached to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania, in relation to claims in excess of EUR 1,500,000 deriving from a FIDIC contract regarding a major project for the extension of water and sewage systems.
- Representing a major international energy trader in connection with complex investment protection matters arising in connection with the termination of energy supply agreements;
- Assisting a major European energy group in connection with potential investment arbitration claims deriving from amendments to the legal framework governing renewable energy sources;
- Assisting a major global energy company in connection with potential investment arbitration claims arising from amendments to the legal framework regarding allocation of green certificates.
- Arbitrator on the Panel of Arbitrators of the Bucharest Court of Arbitration
- Bucharest Bar Association (Admitted in 2011)
- Young Arbitration Forum (ICC YAF), International Chamber of Commerce
- Young ICCA – International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- ICC Institute of World Business Law
- Swiss Arbitration Association, ASA Below 40
- „Significance of CJEU case-law in the clarification of the circumstances triggering the exclusion from public procurement procedures – Case study: Case C-267/18”, paper presented at the conference „Preliminary ruling procedure. EU law principles and Romanian legal system experiences, 2nd Edition”, EU Law Studies Centre (CSDE) Romanian Academy Research Institute, Bucharest 2018
- “Provisional measures in accordance with the new rules of arbitration”, Lecture at the Conference “Difficult arbitration matters. Second Edition. New rules on making claims”, Bucharest, 2018;
- Conference “Fourteenth Annual Leading Arbitrators’ Symposium on the Conduct of International Arbitration”, Vienna 2018;
- “The evolution of investment disputes in the energy field” speaker of the Conference „Private law arbitration from a European perspective”, Bucharest, 2017;
- FIDIC Certified Training “The FIDIC Claims – Making, Defending and Resolving Claims under the FIDIC 1999 Contracts”, Bucharest 2016;
- Conference “Arbitration in Eastern Europe. Trends and Developments”, Bucharest 2015;
- IBA Conference „Opening Statement”, Vienna 2015;
- Conference „A Romanian and International Legal Perspective on 20 Critical Contractual/Legal Issues That Arise on Real Estate and Construction Projects”, Bucharest 2014;
- Conference “The new Vienna Rules – quality arbitration at your doorstep”, Bucharest 2014;
- Conference “Cross-Examination in International Arbitration”, Vienna 2013;
- Conference “Private Law Arbitration in a European Context”, The Center for Economic Studies, Bucharest 2012.
- “International execution against Judgment Debtors” (co-author of the chapter on Romanian jurisdiction), Thomson Reuters 2021;
- “International execution against Judgment Debtors” (co-author of the chapter on Romanian jurisdiction), Thomson Reuters 2020;
- “Jurisdiction of Arbitral Tribunals over Disputes for Annulment of Public Procurement Certificates issued by Contracting Authorities” (c0-author), Romanian Arbitration, January-March 2020;
- “International arbitration – a potential mechanism for dispute resolution regarding climate change”, paper presented at the international Conference „Perspectives of Business Law in the Third Millenium”, Fourth Edition, University of Economic Studies, Bucharest, 2016;
- “The Energy Charter Treaty and settlement of disputes – current challenges” (c0-author), Tribuna Juridica, June 2016;
- “Enforceability of Provisional Measures in International Commercial Arbitration” (c0-author), Universitara Publishing House, Bucharest, 2012.